Search Our Recipes & Nutrition Information

Ruby Red Beets & Carrots with Dill

I have never been a fan of beets, mostly because I've never really tried them.  They were not a staple in my home growing up and it's just not the first thing I think of when I sit down to decide what to make for dinner.  We've been experimenting with new fruits and vegetables that we're not accustomed to eating.  So naturally, beets were at the top of my list.  I was really surprised when this dish was a big hit with my family! My 3 year old daughter, Aubrey, loved them and thought it was so cool that they turned her toung red!  This is a great recipe that I will continue to make and add to our monthly veggie menus!

Ruby Red Beets & Carrots with Dill

1 lb red baby beets
1/2lb baby carrots
2 tsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
1-1/2tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp fresh chopped dill

Cut the beet greens 1 inch from the top of the beet.  Rinse the beets under cool water to wash away dirt.  In a large pot, fitted with a steamer basket, bring 1" of water to a boil.  Add the unpeeled beets, cover and steam until tender, about 25-30 minutes.  Remove from the pot and place in a glass mixing bowl covered with plastic wrap.  When cool enough to touch, peel and cut into quarters.  Set aside in bowl and keep warm.

Check the pot, add water to 1" if necessary and return to boil.  Add the baby carrots, cover and team until tender, 5-10 minutes.  Remove from the pot.

Add your steamed carrots to the mixing bowl with the beets.  Add the butter, olive oil, lemon juice and chopped dill.  Tenderly toss the beets and carrots to gently combine and transfer from a serving dish.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining the conversation! Jess will be replying soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...