For most people, carbohydrates help stimulate the release of pleasure-producing hormones called Ghrelin. Ghrelin makes you feel good by acting on the pleasure receptors in the brain. Just like a nicotine addiction these habits are tough to break. There is help though! And food is the answer!!
Instead of a high sugar rush from cookies, cake, ice cream and chocolate I suggest eating sweet yet nutritious carbohydrates to "ease" some of your stress. Here's a great list to get you started!
- Whole Grain English Muffin with Peanut Butter
- Whole Grain Toast with Natural Jelly or Jam
- Piece of Fresh Organic Fruit like a banana which has calming effects on the stomach
- Organic Oatmeal with Peanut Butter & Raisins
- Squash Soup or Tomato Soup
- Sweet Potato with light sour cream & chives or Sweet Potato Fries with Ketchup
- Whole Grain Cereals or Organic Granola