Many people are now incorporating nutrient-dense foods known as “superfoods” into their diets to help boost energy, beauty, and overall health. Among the list of top superfoods is maca, a root grown in the Andes Mountains in Peru. Maca is packed with essential vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and phytonutrients, making this ancient Incan food a nutritional powerhouse.
Maca has been consumed for thousands of years for its energy-enhancing and mood-stabilizing capabilities. Peruvian maca root is an adaptogen, a substance that increases the body’s resistance to the damaging effects of stress and disease—a main reason why it can help fight symptoms of chronic fatigue and contribute to overall wellbeing. Traditionally, maca has also been used to regulate, support, and balance hormonal systems for both men and women, and much more!
So, how else can this superfood help you achieve ultimate wellness? Here’s a list of the top 5 health benefits of maca:
- Energy: Within just a few minutes of consuming maca, people have reported to feel their mood and energy levels lift almost instantly. Try adding a teaspoon of maca to your smoothie to increase energy, stamina, and endurance.
- Mood balance: Maca may help to alleviate the symptoms of stress, anxiety, and depression by balancing hormones with its unique set of nutrients that fuel the endocrine system.
- Sexual health: Known as a libido booster, maca is widely used to promote sexual function for both men and women as well as improve fertility and stamina.
- Women’s health: Maca has been used for generations to help relieve menstrual issues such as cramps, hot flashes, and mood swings. If you’re pregnant or nursing, it’s recommended to avoid consuming maca.
- Healthy skin: Maca root helps to nourish the skin and improve collagen synthesis resulting in firmer, softer, more radiant skin.
Most people consume maca in a powdered form by adding it to smoothies, yogurt, drinks, salads and more. It is said to taste similar to roasted chickory, which can taste a bit like coffee. If this taste is displeasing to you, then you can experience the benefits by taking maca tablets.
Do you consume maca? How does it make you feel?